When a residential or commercial premises is not properly cared for, stairs, gates, walkways and step-ups can become dangerous, injurious or even lethal.
It is important to realize that managers, owners and maintenance companies have legal obligations to maintain premises. This includes ensuring security and general safe conditions. When a premise is improperly cared for and visitors or patrons are injured, those responsible for maintenance may be held liable under law. That said, these cases can (and often do) have multiple defendants, making the situation extremely complex. If you or someone close to you was injured on someone's premises, we are here for you.
Injured on dangerous property? Call the Law Offices of James L. O'Rourke today at 203-864-4427 for a free consultation.
Norwalk Slip-And-Fall Injury Attorneys
Our lawyers are ready to take more than 50 years of combined experience to maximize all compensation to which you are entitled if you have been injured due to:
- Dog bites: A dog bite injury can be extremely serious, leaving the victim with significant scarring. If you or a loved one has been injured in an animal attack, our attorneys will help you recover compensation for your medical bills and other losses.
- Slip-and-fall accidents: Many people think slip-and-fall accidents are frivolous, and those who file lawsuits over them are greedy. The truth, however, is that a falling accident can lead to serious, sometimes permanent, head and back injuries. A personal injury lawsuit can help victims recover compensation for these injuries. We represent those injured in grocery stores, office buildings, retail stores and other places.
- Snow and ice accidents: Business owners have a responsibility to clear snow and ice from their premises and to ensure that visitors have a safe walking surface. If you were injured on private property, our attorneys will help you hold a negligent premises owner responsible.
We encourage you to get in touch as soon as possible so that we can begin obtaining evidence and building your case to maximize your compensation.
Why People Trip And Fall
Although some people fall because they are not watching where they are going or because they feel faint, many falls involve safety hazards over which they have no realistic control. Types of safety hazards include:
- Premises defects: Store employees may obstruct an aisle floor with stacked boxes or display merchandise. Tree roots may lift a sidewalk section. Workmen may have improperly installed shower safety bars.
- Dangerous conditions: Restaurants may not clean up slippery food on the floor in front of a salad bar. A machine shop's floor mats may pop up when they overlap.
- Failure to maintain a safe property: A stairway may have loose handrails. Someone's swimming pool may have inadequate fencing or other safeguards.
What If You Are Partially At Fault?
Visitors have a responsibility to exercise reasonable care when protecting their own safety. In many cases, the premises owner will argue that the victim was at least partially at fault for his or her own injuries.
As your law firm, we will help you counter these arguments and prove the premises owner's negligence. However, even if you are shown to have been partially responsible for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation under Connecticut's comparative fault laws.
Imagine you were injured on an icy walkway. If the court found that you were 10 percent responsible for the accident and the negligent premises owner was responsible for the other 90 percent, you could claim 90 percent of the total damages. This law ensures that each party is held accountable for his or her contributions to the accident.
Contact Our Bridgeport Premises Liability Attorneys Today
If you or a loved one suffered an injury on unsafe or poorly maintained premises, our personal injury attorneys can help you claim compensation. Contact us online or call 203-864-4427 to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys.