Millions Recovered For Injured People

Is there a waiting period for workers’ compensation benefits?

On Behalf of | Dec 20, 2018 | Workers' Compensation |

When injured on the job, a Connecticut worker might think that he or she can get workers’ compensation benefits immediately. Unfortunately, that is not exactly the case. As with any other issue related to workers’ compensation benefits, there are laws that dictate when the worker will begin receiving benefits. Understanding the laws regarding workers’ compensation claims is important, so workers can understand their rights.

After the injury, the worker cannot receive benefits for partial or total incapacity if the injury does not lead to the worker being incapacitated for more than three days and they could not earn full wages at their normal job. If the incapacitation goes beyond three days but ends before seven days, the workers’ compensation benefits will start after three days. If the worker is incapacitated for seven days, the workers’ compensation will start from the date at which the injury occurred.

The worker can get full wages for the day in which the injury happened. That day will not be calculated when determining the first day the worker was injured. When a worker can get permanent disability, the payments will start within 30 days after the worker has reached the maximum level of improvement. When the worker does not get the payment within that timeframe, the employer must pay 10 percent interest from the date at which maximum improvement was reached. At least once a month, the employer will be informed if the employee can receive compensation due to wages lost because of the injury and, if this is the case, the compensation will be paid.

Injured workers count on workers’ compensation benefits to help them make it through the injury, the treatment and the determination as to when and whether they will be able to get back to work at the same job. When there are disputes about when the workers’ compensation will be paid or there is confusion based on how the law addresses these issues, seeking professional advice can help.


FindLaw Network