What To Do After A Car Accident
Some Connecticut drivers are polite to a fault. If you are involved in an accident that was caused by another driver, it’s important to take steps to ensure that your good manners don’t end up costing you when it comes time to resolve your personal injury case.
Since 1993, the Law Offices of James L. O'Rourke has advised accident victims in Connecticut who have been injured by negligent drivers. With offices in Stratford, Shelton , we represent clients throughout the Greater Bridgeport area.
Protect Your Rights After An Accident
Our Bridgeport car accident attorneys care about one thing: helping you recover the full compensation you are owed by the negligent driver and his or her insurance company.
To protect your rights:
- Don’t apologize or assume the accident was your fault. You can recover damages as long as your negligence was not greater than that of the other party or parties. However, your recovery will be reduced by any percentage of fault that is assigned to you. Let an experienced lawyer evaluate your case before you say anything that could be interpreted as admitting fault.
- Call police. Even if the other driver admits fault, call police so that they can complete an accident report. When it comes time to pay the bill, the other driver may attempt to shift fault to you.
- Collect and preserve evidence. After rendering aid to the injured, take pictures of the accident scene using your cellphone or ask somebody else to take pictures. Obtain names and contact information of witnesses if possible.
- Don’t say anything to the insurance company of the other party. It may seem like good manners to provide a statement to the insurance company representing the other driver. However, the insurance company may twist your words in a way that will damage your case.
- Don’t accept a settlement or sign a release. If you do so, your case may be over, regardless of how serious your injuries turn out to be.
The sooner you put your case in the hands of our experienced attorneys, the sooner we can go to work for you and protect your rights.
Free Case Evaluation From An Experienced Attorney
To schedule a free initial consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys, contact us online or call 800-658-1245. If you are unable to come to one of our three office locations, we will arrange to meet with you in your home or hospital room. Spanish translation services are available.