Millions Recovered For Injured People

What Is My Personal Injury Case Worth?

If you have been injured due to another person’s negligence, you have a right to seek compensation for the losses you have suffered. But how much compensation can you expect to receive? It’s an important question — one that could have drastic effects on your financial independence.

The value of a personal injury claim varies widely depending on the circumstances of the accident and the injuries suffered. These issues are all affected by unique factors, making it difficult for individuals to make accurate assessments without professional assistance.

At the Law Offices of James L. O'Rourke, our attorneys have decades of experience handling personal injury cases in the state of Connecticut. We have worked with clients who have suffered a wide range of injuries across a broad spectrum of circumstances, from motor vehicle accidents to dog bites to slip-and-fall injuries. Drawing upon this deep experience, we can offer our clients insightful legal advice based on the unique circumstances of their case. To schedule a free consultation at one of our three office locations, contact us online or call 800-658-1245.

Determining The Value Of Your Claim

After an accident, you may have suffered a number of physical, emotional and financial losses. A personal injury claim is designed to compensate you for all of these damages. Factors considered include:

  • Medical bills: Including medication costs, surgical expenses, ambulance fees and the costs associated with consultations. Your claim will consider both past medical expenses and those you expect to see in the future.
  • Medical devices: If you need to purchase a wheelchair, crutches, testing equipment or any other medical devices, your personal injury claim can reflect those costs.
  • Disability: A disability can have enormous physical and emotional effect on victims.
  • Disfigurement: You may receive compensation for disfigurement from burns or scars. The amount varies based on the severity of the injury.
  • Lost wages: If you were unable to work while recovering from your injuries, you can receive compensation through a personal injury suit. If you are no longer able to work, you may also be compensated for the money you would have earned if you hadn’t been injured.
  • Pain and suffering: You are entitled to compensation for the physical pain you suffered as a result of the accident.
  • Loss of enjoyment of life: A serious accident can render you unable to do the things you once enjoyed, such as hobbies, sports or family activities.
  • Emotional distress: Emotional distress can come in many forms following an accident, including embarrassment, worry, stress and depression.

Some of these losses, such as medical expenses or lost wages, can be calculated easily — simply add up the medical bills and missed paychecks. Others, such as pain and suffering, are much more difficult to determine. These are based on a number of unique factors, and will vary from case to case.

Comparative Fault

What if the accident was not entirely the other party’s fault? What if you were partially responsible? Under Connecticut’s comparative fault laws, you will still be eligible to recover compensation, but at a reduced percentage.

Take a car accident for example. Under normal circumstances, if you were struck by a drunk driver, the other driver would likely be found 100 percent liable for damages. If, however, you were speeding when the drunk driver struck you, you may be ruled partially at fault for the accident. If the court finds that you were 20 percent responsible and the other driver was 80 percent liable, your final compensation would be reduced by 20 percent, leaving you with 80 percent of the total amount.

The issue of comparative fault will play a role both when negotiating a settlement and when taking a case to trial. Your personal injury attorney can help you prepare for the comparative fault rule and protect your interests throughout the duration of your case.

Contact Our Attorneys

If you have been injured in an accident, our personal injury lawyers can help you determine how much your case is worth. When you schedule a free consultation at our law firm, one of our experienced attorneys will work with you one-on-one to address any concerns you may have. To get started, contact us online or call 800-658-1245. Our three office locations serve clients in Stratford, Bridgeport, Shelton and the surrounding areas.